Sunday, August 31, 2008

Maarg Chennai marathon 31-Aug-2008




I went for the 7km run (walk, actually) of the marathon organized by GiveLife Charity on 31-aug-2008. The charity is aimed at providing education for underprivileged children. Participating that event was fun. We went as a group involving children and some more people who are interested in sports. BTW, GiveLife charity is an NGO headed by Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi's daughter M. Kanimozhi.

It was quite crowded. I was quite happy to participate. There were quite a lot of school children with their school bands drumming. There were students doing pole walking. It was really a fun walking along with so much crowd. The event organization was better than what I expected. The traffic was diverted, there were quite a lot of security people on duty, there were ambulances for emergency care, etc. Good care was taken to avert stampede. But, the organizers failed miserably in providing water and sanitation facitilities. I saw a truck loaded with Aquafina water bottle cartons was swamped by young boys. They climbed the moving truck and picked the water bottles from cartons and passed on to the people. People were literally running for water!

Two things grasped my attention a lot. One made me feel good and the other made me feel terrible.

I heard three different conversations where some young students were talking out their despair and frustration in people throwing away plastics recklessly. The road was full of empty water bottles and packets. The Eco friendly awareness is certainly there in the young blood of Indians.

The next thing was heart breaking. There were small children aged less than 8, bare footed, picking up those plastics for their living. I have taken some photographs from my mobile and I'll upload that once I figure out how to upload into blog. The very reason for which this event was organized seems to be a terrible failure. The person who was compering was ecstatic in shouting "I love Chennai", "Yengal Chennai, Thanga Chennai (meaning Our Chennai is Golden Chennai)", etc. Amdist that he started shouting the corporate/companies/ personalities, etc like "The Hindu", "IOB", "Cavinkare", "SRM university", etc. I would call that event a success if they have registered atleast those rag pickers in schools !!


My Drupal took back burner over the last weekend. With Chennai marathon and some functions to attend, didn't get much time at all for Drupal. However, I did get bit of time to read Rajesh Setty's "Beyond Code". I didn't get much out of that book. Whatever he has said, I have read it in the Opportunity supplement of "The Hindu" news paper. I follow most of that as well!

No comments: